We admit a cohort of up to 20 communications professionals once a year, to begin study in the fall semester. Admission is based on an analysis of each applicant’s academic record, GRE scores, relevant professional experience, reasons for pursuing the degree and references.
Criteria for admission include:
- Minimum three years of professional communications experience
- A recognized undergraduate degree
- An undergraduate grade-point average of “B” or better (3.0 GPA on 4.0 scale)
- For international applicants, a minimum score of 105 on the internet-based TOEFL exam or 7.5 on the IELTS exam
- Minimum GRE scores in the 55th percentile on the verbal portion and 50th percentile on the quantitative portion
The following materials are required with your application:
- Statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation, submitted by recommenders
- Writing sample(s)
- Unofficial undergraduate transcript(s)
- Standardized-test scores, self-reported in application and sent by testing organization
*ETS institution code: 5816
We balance the need to admit promising individuals who are clear about their career goals and learning objectives with the goal of enrolling a diverse and multidisciplinary group of students. To this end, GRE and GPA minimums are treated solely as guides, and meeting these criteria is not a guarantee of admission. The professional experience requirement of three years cannot be mitigated by any other factors and stands as a non-negotiable requirement.
The Application Process
Visit the UNC Graduate School website to apply online.
🕐 Early August
🕐 March 13, 2018
Faculty review of applications
🕐 Late March/early April
Admission decisions made
Deadline to accept offer of admission and submit a $250 non-refundable deposit. (Failure to respond within stated timeframe may result in the withdrawal of the offer of admission)
🕐 May 1